Musical burnout seems to be one of those things that most of us go through. To a greater or lesser degree, we all have those days when the inspiration just doesn’t flow and we can’t bring the usual passion and engagement to our instruments.
In this video I share some of the ways I like to refresh myself musically.
Here’s a summary:
1) Attend gigs: feed the artist within and reconnect with the listener’s perspective.
2) Listen to music: especially music you don’t play.
3) Shift perspective: take a step back and enjoy the basics of life.
4) Broaden your artistic experience: enjoy a different art form, get inspired through different media.
5) Take a break: paint a fence.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Let me know how you keep your music fresh in the comments section below!